To fulfill the requirements for the MLIS plus the Illinois Professional Educator License with endorsement (K-12) in the concentration area of Library Information Specialist students must:
- Fulfill all the requirements for the MLIS degree.
- Apply for admittance to the School Library Media Program (including admissions application, essay, and successful completion of the Illinois Test of Academic Proficiency.) Students who were educated outside of the United States need to have official credential evaluations completed by an approved agency at their own expense.
- Complete the nine required courses plus nine elective semester hours, for a total of 36 semester hours.
- Successfully complete the required Illinois certification tests.
- Develop a program portfolio.
- Complete the clinical practice component of the program including an interview with the coordinator and professional autobiography, observation hours, and internship or student teaching in school libraries.
- Meet the professional education requirements of the State of Illinois.
- Attend periodically scheduled Information Sessions and participate in an exit interview with the program director.
Download the Student Progress Packet, which outlines all the requirements for the MLIS plus the Illinois Professional Educator License with LIS endorsement (K-12).
Note: Requirements may vary for students who have already earned the MLIS degree and are now seeking licensure or for students who are seeking only the Library Information Specialist endorsement on an existing license.