Before being admitted to the School Library Media Program, an applicant must meet the following requirements:
- Completion of or enrollment in LIS 701, LIS 703, and LIS 704. Completion of or enrollment in LIS 773 is recommended.
- Successful completion of the State of Illinois Test of Academic Proficiency. For test information, visit http://www.icts.nesinc.com.
- Completion of national and state fingerprint-based background checks.
- Completion of the SLMP application, which includes the following:
- the application form
- a 600-700 word essay which addresses:
- your goal of becoming a school library media specialist as it relates to Dominican University’s conceptual framework of scholarship, leadership and service.
- how you believe you will contribute to the field of librarianship generally and to school librarianship specifically.
The conceptual framework of the Dominican University education unit has as its foundation the ideals of scholarship as it relates to academic excellence, leadership as it relates to the school community and service as it relates to fostering communities of lifelong learners. In concert with intellectual freedom and a love of reading, these ideals reflect the essential values of the school library media profession.
Prospective SLMP students who already hold an ALA-accredited MLIS degree need to have their graduate transcripts and professional work experience reviewed by the SLMP Director to assess the courses needed to complete the requirements for licensure. If you would like to have your transcripts reviewed, please contact us: email@example.com or 708-524-6855.